Aranea Review

I'm so excited! This time around I am going to be giving my very first review on a pair of stunning earrings that are at great value. Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any company and these are my own opinions. _〆(。。) They are the epitome of a unique, one-of-a-kind statement piece. The iridescent vibrant colour of these are mesmerizing, and will catch the eye of (& invoke questions from) anyone who looks at them.


Here's the surprise for a few of you readers here: they are created with the wings of Jewel Beetles (Buprestidae family.) Beetlewing art is actually a traditional ancient art that originated from eastern countries such as Thailand, China, Japan and India, incorporating beetle wings into textiles, jewellery and artwork.

Fun fact of the day: in South Africa they happen to eat Jewel Beetles.

Closeup: The earrings beside their whole-body counterpart (different jewel beetle.)

I've previously searched for this beetlewing jewelry online, but the only results that came up were either a single wing pair or dangle-style earrings, which is not what I was really looking for. I didn't like the designs that certain stores had with the earring used to hang the wings either; some were too bland and others were too much (a dozen wings on a single pair!) /way too obnoxious ORZ

So I was thrilled when I discovered AraneaDesigns, a small business run by an artisan who recycles the remnants and by-products of nature in her biodegradable jewelry, and had just the right style I was searching for! You can purchase the artists's creations through her Etsy store, here. 

The earrings are incredibly sturdy, and the ten shimmering wings dangle from two dainty golden hoops. What initially caught my interest was a similar pair of hooped earrings in silver; the seller was accommodating and created a gold pair by my request! The hoops don't look overbearing and are just the right size. When you try them on you feel like an exotic princess (ahaha!) It's difficult to show how the light catches and reflects off the wings, but they shimmer with shades of emerald and cobalt blue, with a tinge of indigo.

Sorry for the shaky hands: Left pair and right pair, taken at slightly different angles.

She sent the earrings out extremely quickly but the only trouble I ran into was with the post office. The package was sent back to the seller twice; through the entire process she had been in contact with me and also generously covered the costs of re-shipping these beautiful earrings to me (both times!) She had even offered me a full refund when the earrings were sent back to her the second time, which I refused. It took nearly eight weeks, but the package finally reached me in the end in perfect condition. There was no problem whatsoever on her end, only with the mixup at the post office.

Accuracy:     ★ - exactly as pictured.
Quality:      ★ - balanced, perfect condition, well packaged.
Comfort:      ☆ - lightweight (;not good for windy conditions.)
Service:      ★ - dedicated towards communication.

Interested in these earrings? (or something similar?) I specifically have a 10% off discount code for my readers; just enter NYUCHU at the checkout before you make your purchase! That being said, I highly recommend AraneaDesigns on Etsy if you're someone who looks for unique natural jewellery or interesting gifts that will "wow" the recipient. Can't find the same pair or have an idea for something new?  

Message a personal request to the seller. I have never received such friendly customer service and impeccable communication. You won't be disappointed.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I've tried to be as thorough as possible with the review (And to keep it short and simple.) Hopefully I'll be able to do more of these in the future :)

      Delete
  2. Are these delicate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No not at all ( ' v ' ) the wings themselves are pretty hard, seeing as how beetles use them as armour. You would take care of these earrings just like any other jewelry. (I would take care not to step on these while wearing shoes, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look like a greek goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the wonderful review! You are a brilliant photographer and a stunningly beautiful young woman! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
    african maxi skirts for sale

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment / コメントを書く。